Sunday, September 25, 2011

No Bite

My dog firmly believes anything that holds my attention must be worth eating, or biting at least.  When I first began tatting in front of him he was fascinated by the shuttle.  It's metal and shines nicely.  His nose got closer and closer until he tentatively licked the string.  "No." Sent him back to my daughter's lap where he watched me from a safe distance.

As he grows older his interest in the action has waned, but his fascination with the materials continues.  He sniffs cotton thread with socially polite interest.  Wool, however, has his undivided attention.  We actually have to resort to "No bite" to keep him at a safe distance. Ah how his eyes shine.

Before I open the package, I offer it to him to check out.  He snifs, looks at me and pushes at the plastic with his nose.  This is asking permission to chew.  I tell him "no."  He sits down beside me on the couch and watches me cast on.  He has even been known to let me lean the pattern against him for a little while.  All so that he can breathe in the delicious perfume of undyed, lanolin-kissed fibres.

Dream on, little broomstick cowdog.  The wool is mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment